This Confraternity, linked to the Parish of San Miguel Arcángel since its creation, was founded by six pious men from Jerez on 15th March 1774, and its Rules were approved on the 22nd of the same month and year by the Perpetual Vicar and Ecclesiastical Judge at that time.
From the very beginning, the Brotherhood embodied the spirit of that time by gaining popular approval, with numerous citizens from Jerez joining its ranks (entire neighborhoods such as the Mártires, El Cañito…), many nobles who have been presidents on its Governing Boards, and especially the preference for it by the parish priests of San Miguel who, from its foundation, were its spiritual directors and attended all its assemblies and meetings.
The primitive Statutes of the Confraternity have not been preserved because they were hidden underground and considerably deteriorated during the French domination, but in the month of July 1827 they were copied again from the archives of the Vicariate, testifying to this fact and faithful copy the Vicar and Parish Priest José Fajardo at that time.
Two events of great importance for the Confraternity must be mentioned in its history: the first is that the Pope Pío VII, in response to the enthusiasm and affection for it of the Count of Casa Ayala, made an endowment in 1807 of five papal bulls, enhancing it and enriching it with very interesting privileges and indulgences. The other event took place on 15th September 1851, the date on which Queen Elizabeth II, approved the Statutes and Rules of the Confraternity by Royal Decree.
This church brotherhood has been incorporated into the Parish Church of San Miguel Arcángel since its foundation. However, it has been making its penance procession from the Hermitage of Los Santos Mártires Fabián y Sebastián since 1971, due to the damage caused in this parish by the earthquake of Lisbon in 1969.
Its Nazarenes wear white tunics with extended tails, capirote and purple priest’s cincture and chest. The latter has embroidered the coat of arms of the church brotherhood.
The main titular is that of El Señor Coronado de Espinas
It is an excellent polychrome wood carving by an anonymous 17th h century author and it shows the vexation of the crowning with thorns by the Roman soldiers. It was restored for the first time in Seville in 1881, when the three sayones that accompany it were carved. It was last restored in 1997. The seated sayón, who points to the Lord with an index finger, is traditionally known as Rosini. He is carried on a four-armed platform with a carved and gilded wooden small basket. Four five-branched golden candelabras carved in fine golden wood illuminate this sculpture ensemble, which is carried by 32 members who wear black tunics with a drooping catholic conical hood, a white belt with black stripes and a white priest’s cincture. A characteristic feature of this unique church brotherhood is its Roman Guard on horseback, created in 1952, since it has steadily accompanied the procession of the El Señor Coronado de Espinas.
Santísimo Cristo de la Flagelación
It is an impressive sculpture in polychrome wood, a work of Pedro Duque Cornejo, from the middle of the 18th century, very close to the circle of the Sevillian sculptor Pedro Roldán, a disciple of Alonso de Mena. It joined the church brotherhood in 1882, coming from the Vera Cruz Chapel, as it is a ‘ Misterio de la Pasión’ very close to the La Coronación de Espinas. It represents the scourging of Jesus by two executioners who whip him with a whip and a dry branch. Its last restoration was completed in 1997. It is carried on a four-armed platform made of mahogany wood and silver-plated metal and illuminated by four silver-plated five-light candelabras.
It is carried by 32 members who wear a black tunic with drooping conical headwear, a white belt with black stripes and a white crossed priest’s cincture. It consists of three figures: the Cristo de la Flagelación o de los Azotes and, behind him, two sayones popularly known as Zorriaguillo and Taramilla.
María Santísima de la Amargura
This beautiful Dolorosa, carved in Seville by the sculptor Sebastián Santos Rojas, was acquired in 1952 and since then has replaced the Virgen de los Dolores in the processional parade. Restored the same year as the Christ figures by Sebastián Santos Calero, son of the carver who sculpted it. It stands on a silver-plated and carved base in a magnificent three-chapeled canopy, with silver-plated and embossed nickel silver vents, carved with scenes from the life of the Virgin and Marian allegories and finished off with crests and angels.
It is illuminated by two eleven-light candelabra embossed and engraved silver and 62 pieces of silver candlestick. Twelve silver-embossed poles with cords and tassels in gold thread support the canopy and embroidered scenery.
An oil painting of the Coronation of the Virgin stands out on the Glory of the Canopy, the work of Juan Manuel Torrado Martínez from Jerez. It is carried by 32 costaleros wearing white shirts with the church brotherhood’s coat of arms, black trousers and sash.
Traditionally, the Virgen de la Amargura has been escorted by a small group of the Civil Guard of Jerez. For this reason, and after seeing over the years the favorable acceptance of the Civil Guard Company to the Church Brotherhood’s request for the provision of a group of guards to protect the image of the Virgin during the Station of Penance of the Maundy Thursday and the Governing Board considered corresponding to them. Thus, it was the decision of the Governing Board to thank them honorably for their constant willingness to safeguard and protect the Virgin, requesting from the Lt. Colonel Chief of the Badajoz Command to accept the designation of the Virgen de la Amargura as the godmother of the Units located in Jerez. This request was accepted.
Events and celebrations.
Every Miércoles de Ceniza Since 2015, the solemn transfer of the titular figures of the brotherhood from the church of San Miguel Arcángel to the hermitage of Los Santos Mártires takes place, where they will be worshiped for three days. On the last day of the celebration, the traditional hand-kissing of María Santísima de la Amargura takes place.
The culminating moment of splendor takes place on Thursday night at 22.15 p.m with the celebration of the penance procession, which will take place during the night and part of the early hours of the morning in the neighborhood of Los Mártires and the most central and emblematic streets of the city.
Located in the street El Pino, nº 7, the site chosen for this project could not be any other than the neighborhood of Los Santos Mártires. The construction began on 25 January 2008, with Manuel Macarro Martínez as president. It was inaugurated and blessed on 12 February 2016. The project was planned and directed by the architect from Cáceres, Francisco Javier Rubio Muriel. The work was carried out by the Jerez-based builder Luis Amaro Murillo. It was designed based on the conviction that it is necessary to conserve a unique heritage of works of art, different objects and customs. This great diversity, a reflection of the history of Jerez, constitutes an authentic treasure that must be invested in the enthusiasm and motivation of everyone. A large number of pieces of imagery, gold and silver work, painting, embroidery, etc., are exhibited here on a practically permanent basis as elements of divulgation, conservation and involvement in the safeguarding of the historical and cultural heritage. The ground floor is divided into a large exhibition hall for the processional floats, an exhibition room for badges, embroidery and other items. The upper floor consists of an assembly hall, a multi-purpose room, a meeting room and a secretary’s office/archives. An attic storage room completes this building, a true achievement in the recent history of La Cofradía del Señor Coronado de Espinas.
 Catholic conical Hood
 Lord Crowned with Thorns
 Mistery of the Rosary
 Crowning of Thorns
 Saint Mery Of Sorrows
 Ash Wednesday of the Holy Week